I feel like cauliflower is a super underrated vegetable. anyone else? there are SO many new and fun things that you can do with it - turn it into cauliflower rice, make a cauliflower crust pizza, eat it with melted cheese [instead of Mac & Cheese], etc. AND not only are these recipes delicious but they are all also much healthier versions of their carb-filled counterparts!
with that being said... I think that good ole roasted vegetables are also underrated. tossing a vegetable in some olive oil and seasoning and then roasting it to golden brown perfection is the ultimate side dish. plus it's easy! if you wanted to get a little fancy with it, you can make a dipping sauce or relish to go alongside. which is exactly what I did with this dish. it is chunked up cauliflower tossed in olive oil, turmeric, cumin, s&p and then roasted. it is paired with a relish that I got from a Bon Appetit magazine. I chose these specific spices to roast the cauliflower in because they pair nicely with the ingredients in the relish; however, you could always change them up depending on what you have or even do straight salt and pepper. the relish can also be used with a ton of other dishes as well - alongside other roasted veggies, on top of a steak, with a cheese platter/charcuterie board, or [although I haven't tried it] I think it would be super delicious on a sandwich!
speaking of the relish – it is filled with golden raisins. adding golden raisins to my dishes is new for me and let me tell you… they are SO good! I had to buy a pretty big box of them to make this dish and so I’ve started adding them to my salads, grain bowls and my favorite, tuna salad! I am not a fan of regular raisins at all but these golden ones have just the right amount of sweetness to them that allows the addition to really change a dish. I really recommend giving them a try.
ROASTED CAULIFLOWER & TURMERIC-GARLIC RELISH
Yields: 4-6 servings Prep Time: 10-15 minutes Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
1 head of cauliflower, cored & cut into 1-2” pieces
½ cup olive oil, divided
2 tsp. + ½ tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. salt
freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup golden raisins
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¼ cup coconut flakes
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 Tbsp. mustard seeds
- Preheat the oven to 450° and prepare a large baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.
- Core the cauliflower and cut it up into 1-2” size chunks.
- In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower, ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tsp. turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Spread the cauliflower evenly throughout the baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, flipping half way through.
-- The cauliflower should be browned on all sides
- While the cauliflower is roasting, combine the raisins and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining ¼ cup olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the thinly sliced garlic and coconut and cook until garlic and coconut are golden, 6-8 minutes.
-- Swirl the contents frequently to avoid burning.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the ginger, mustard seeds and turmeric.
- Transfer mixture to a small bowl and let cool. Once cooled, mix in the lemon juice and raisins.
- Season the relish with salt, as needed.
- Serve the roasted cauliflower alongside the relish or spoon the relish over the top and serve!